Built in 1889, Central Presbyterian Church in downtown St. Paul is on the National Register of Historic Buildings. It is an imposing three bay asymmetrical structure of the Richardsonian Romanesque style. The front façade is 24-inch-thick Lake Superior brownstone dominated by a massive gable 90 feet over the double-arched main entrance. The square bell tower is topped by a belfry and an octagonal spire rising 150 feet. Most of the side and rear walls are made of red pressed brick laid in stretcher bond with stone sills and watertable. There are two large half-rose stained glass windows, one on the west front over the main entrance and one on the south side. There are also numerous other stained glass windows on three floors of the building.
The Legacy Grant Project is financed primarily with funds provided by the State of Minnesota from the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund through the Minnesota Historical Society. This project includes an assessment of the condition of the exterior fabric of the church including but not limited to stone work, brick work and protective covering of the stained glass windows. The final documents will include construction plans, specifications and Scope of Work Form for rehabilitation of the exterior and a submittal document for Heritage Preservation Commission for approval of the work planned.